Skip to main content

Let's call it a revolution or just evolution

20 years ago on 25th of August, 1991 a student in Finland posted a message in an Internet newsgroup about a hobby software project he'd been working on. Among other things he mentioned,
...just a hobby, won't be big and professional... ...and it probably never will support anything other than AT-harddisks...

History went a long way to prove that guy wrong, and in the process so many others as well.

Exactly 20 years later to the hour, I'm sitting in front of a computer powered by the same software, writing this post about what Linus Benedict Torvalds was writing about back then: Linux.


This post will reach you dear reader, after going through numerous services, servers, routers and many other technological gadgetry powered by the very same software. It is also quite possible that you might be reading this on a gadget (computer, mobile phone, reader, etc.) powered by the same software. And at the moment when you read this post Linux will be silently powering things from wrist watches, refrigerators to nuclear submarines and super computers. It will also be powering the most of the Internet among other things. Today Linux is silent, powerful and ubiquitous. Today my friend, Linux has won. It has been the foundation stone of a greater change for better in the course of our civilization.

The Free & Open Source Software (FOSS) movement is in full flow. Individuals and companies enjoying the benefits of successful FOSS projects like Linux, Apache, Firefox, etc. are starting to think of it as a part of life, a way of thinking. As I type this, somewhere out there is a new computer user learning computer basics, a hacker coding the next big thing; FOSS eco system is ever evolving and developing. As we all reap the benefits of the technological advancements and software freedom, we also take that inspirations to other fields and disciplines. We debate, we write code, we make sure that humankind is not condemned to keep re-inventing the proverbial wheel. And this is why Linux and its success, as big as it is, is still bigger than Linux itself.

Yes mates, while you read this post Linux is making friends for you in Facebook, Twitter and other social media services, it's making clouds for you on Amazon, Rackspace and other places, it's showing off your photos in Picasa, Flickr and others, it's hosting your code in GitHub, SourceForge and elsewhere, it's delivering your email with Gmail, Yahoo and other places, it's running your businesses, small ones to multi-billion dollar enterprises, it's making phone calls for you, it's playing your TVs, it's washing your cloths, and way more things I can possibly fit in to a book let alone a meagre blogpost. The best thing about Linux though in my opinion is none of the above. That wonderful thing is, who makes Linux work. The community; it's that person, the other one, everyone else, us,... yes, you and me.

During the span of two decades a revolution has been happening. When some change happens over that kind of a time period we could rather call it evolution than revolution. Whatever you call it, aren't you glad you are part of it?

You go, Linux!


PS: I consider myself privileged to be a part of the Linux (& FOSS) community for about 10 years. My years with Linux were long and fruitful. I found a living, learned a lot, not just technical things. It generally made me a better person. In short, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride and I plan to continue doing so for years to come.

Comments

  1. Great post. Very emotional too I guess. Because Linux was/is a part of my life too. And I thank firstly Linus Trovalds and rest of the FOSS community for that. Secondly my friends. Specially Gav. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Thila: Let's try to keep that "is" as it is. :) And dude, you joined me for my 1st *successful* Linux installation. And I reckon the post is a bit emotional, because to be honest without Linux/FOSS I'm not sure where I'd be today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great write up!

    Yeah Go Linux go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As many great things, linux does its job silently but perfectly, receiving lesser appreciation from the very same people who benefits from it the most. Nice post mate..

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Chanux: Thanks buddy.

    @änthräX: Thanks mate. It's been a while since I last heard from you. :)

    @මගේ සයිබර් නිවහන: Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Howto Install Docky on Fedora

If you know me personally, then you know that I'm a big fan of GNOME Do . As a keyboard savvy person I use Do extensively. Do is an application launcher similar to the Mac app Quicksilver. However the GNOME Do team has been putting a lot of research and development into it from the initiation. Result: probably the best application launcher out there for any platform. Some months ago, Do included an interesting theme called Docky which made the launcher acts as a dock (a la Mac, Avant, Cairo Dock, etc.). With the integration of GNOME Do, there's no need to say that Docky was super cool. And it started gaining features in a high speed. Ultimately Docky was getting so developed that it became a separate project. Installing GNOME Do on a Fedora system is as easy as: $ sudo yum install gnome-do There are some packages with the names starting from gnome-do-plugins*. With the addition of these GNOME Do can truly enhance your desktop experience. Give it a fair try, I'm pretty

Howto Migrate from Thunderbird to Evolution

I know some of you are asking why , rather than how , regarding migration from Mozilla Thunderbird to Evolution. Maybe that's why there are lot of Evolution to Thunderbird migration guides, but not many vice-versa. Fear not, here is a guide, to assist who dare to migrate from Thunderbird to Evolution. The techniques described here are tested with the newer versions of both the software, namely Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 and Evolution 2.10.2. On higher versions also this should work without an issue. I think Mozilla people are doing a wonderful job with both Firefox and Thunderbird . From my point of view Firefox is the best general purpose web browser around. It beats most proprietary browser in speed, stability, security, modularity, etc. (and don't start commenting the so and so browsers are greater or so and so is cool too. I know they may be, Fx is simply my choice. This also applies to any comparisons with Evolution too :) However Fxs' counterpart in e mail business, is not y

Howto Setup a Subversion (svn) Repository for a Rails Project + Bonus

Setting up a Subversion (svn) repository is something development teams have to do fairly regularly, not that I want to use Subversion. :) If you listen to me, go use Git . Subversion is undoubtedly very good. But after using Git for about a year, you can't simply get me to switch back. Git is that good. :) I've written about Git before . In cases where you can't use Git (or you feel too castrated by TortoiseSVN, pardon me for the pun) you can use Subversion. In this post I'll go through the steps you have to follow to get a basic Subversion setup up and running on a CentOS 5 Linux host. However I think you should be able to use this on other Linux distros too. There's more than one way to host a Subversion repo. I'm going to stick with one way involving WebDAV. Don't mind the buzz word. It's the most common usage for this purpose. If you want a repository where you want to checkout and commit remotely, this is an easy way of getting it done. In addition