Skip to main content

One Last Thing...

This is the last post on my very first blog. Thank you for reading! My new blog is at: gaveen.me

And, if you do not wish to read any further, the gist is:
This blog ends here. My twitter profile (@gaveen) will have a link to wherever my current blog is. 

If you are somehow a returning visitor, I wish to thank you. No, really! You deserve serious kudos because I have even removed the custom domain where this blog used to live for years. In addition, the last post before this one was a single post in 2013 (i.e., over 4 years ago). In the year before, there was again only a single post. So, whatever the reasons for your return are, I thank you. To everyone else, I thank you the same.

When I started this blog almost 12 years ago, I was a completely different person. I had different reasons to write, different drives to keep writing. I knew different things and I wrote, differently. As I have changed, so have those. Therefore, I am moving on.


I was ready to take this blog offline when I realized people seem to reach it through search results according to stats. While I can see most of these posts are way outdated, I will leave this blog nonetheless as a historical archive, for now, if you can find it that is.

On a more positive note, I have found my desire to write again. I have found new drives to keep writing. So much so, that I have started finalizing my Sinhala poetry book, and started writing a Sci-Fi novel in English. But I am in no hurry.

The books will be done whenever they are. I am finally in a stage where I can easily switch between writing in both Sinhala (poetry) and English (prose) without a significant cognitive tax, and enjoy them both equally and greatly. Some writers may call these kind of things as making peace with self, some may call it finding the inner voice, learning your true language, and so on. I'm not trying to define this. I am just enjoying writing.

As a result, I write a lot these days. From work to personal, from emails to documentation, from notebook to actual physical notebook, I write. I write without pressure, knowing that I can revisit and edit later, if I feel like it at least, especially if it is something another person would read and have a hard time digesting.

All of this means that I will inevitably have a blog, most likely somewhere else. Blogger is a great and underrated blog platform. Unfortunately, it has not seen much love in years. Only time will tell if I return to Blogger. And, as much fun Hugo is, I don't need the extra work of maintaining even a static site. As it stands right now, it will most probably be either Medium or WordPress.com for me, probably with a custom domain. I am not going into details as to why, just because there are tons of posts dong exactly that. But, when I have a new blog ready, you will find the link in my twitter profile.

So long, and thanks for all the fish. See you on the flip side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Howto Install Docky on Fedora

If you know me personally, then you know that I'm a big fan of GNOME Do . As a keyboard savvy person I use Do extensively. Do is an application launcher similar to the Mac app Quicksilver. However the GNOME Do team has been putting a lot of research and development into it from the initiation. Result: probably the best application launcher out there for any platform. Some months ago, Do included an interesting theme called Docky which made the launcher acts as a dock (a la Mac, Avant, Cairo Dock, etc.). With the integration of GNOME Do, there's no need to say that Docky was super cool. And it started gaining features in a high speed. Ultimately Docky was getting so developed that it became a separate project. Installing GNOME Do on a Fedora system is as easy as: $ sudo yum install gnome-do There are some packages with the names starting from gnome-do-plugins*. With the addition of these GNOME Do can truly enhance your desktop experience. Give it a fair try, I'm pretty

Howto Migrate from Thunderbird to Evolution

I know some of you are asking why , rather than how , regarding migration from Mozilla Thunderbird to Evolution. Maybe that's why there are lot of Evolution to Thunderbird migration guides, but not many vice-versa. Fear not, here is a guide, to assist who dare to migrate from Thunderbird to Evolution. The techniques described here are tested with the newer versions of both the software, namely Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 and Evolution 2.10.2. On higher versions also this should work without an issue. I think Mozilla people are doing a wonderful job with both Firefox and Thunderbird . From my point of view Firefox is the best general purpose web browser around. It beats most proprietary browser in speed, stability, security, modularity, etc. (and don't start commenting the so and so browsers are greater or so and so is cool too. I know they may be, Fx is simply my choice. This also applies to any comparisons with Evolution too :) However Fxs' counterpart in e mail business, is not y

Howto Setup a Subversion (svn) Repository for a Rails Project + Bonus

Setting up a Subversion (svn) repository is something development teams have to do fairly regularly, not that I want to use Subversion. :) If you listen to me, go use Git . Subversion is undoubtedly very good. But after using Git for about a year, you can't simply get me to switch back. Git is that good. :) I've written about Git before . In cases where you can't use Git (or you feel too castrated by TortoiseSVN, pardon me for the pun) you can use Subversion. In this post I'll go through the steps you have to follow to get a basic Subversion setup up and running on a CentOS 5 Linux host. However I think you should be able to use this on other Linux distros too. There's more than one way to host a Subversion repo. I'm going to stick with one way involving WebDAV. Don't mind the buzz word. It's the most common usage for this purpose. If you want a repository where you want to checkout and commit remotely, this is an easy way of getting it done. In addition